Friday, September 24, 2010

The spirit of Tetzel lives on

Am reading an American Christian book.

While enjoyable and helpful in its way, so far it has mostly failed to deliver on its promise that 'I'll get' a thought-provoking look at God's heart and 'even better, you'll gain wisdom and tools for drawing closer to others in powerful, impactful ways.' Perhaps I should ask the (remaining) members of my family. Have you noticed me drawing closer to you in one or more powerful, impactful ways?

Inside I have opportunity to invest plenty more money in the church's resources. I can buy a series of 'transforming' Bible study guides that are 'filled with prayer, insight, intimacy and action' (according to the publisher), or better still, for a fee, ensure my church 'reaches its redemptive potential'. Does anyone believe this stuff? Does anyone, believing this stuff, buy this stuff? And why, if it's so good and helpful to the church, and has its origins in a rich local congregation, why don't they just give it away on the internet?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, this is more about the title than the substance here. Someone at men's breakfast on Saturday morning was talking about how his shoulder was healed (a little while ago) - he'd had problems for a while, a loose bit of bone was diagnosed, which was to be operated out, after prayer the doctors puzzled to find no loose bone, despite using ages of MRI resources. And on the basis of one contested healing attributed to prayer to a dead English cardinal, we have the Blessed John Henry Newman, created by fiat of a gloriously robed elderly German. I'm sorry if I seem unduly prejudiced, but it does make me very cross. How can Papa Razzi tell anyone that it is now OK to pray to JHN?